Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How important is it to have friends other than your boyfriend?

I am 20 years old. I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half, and I love him so much. I feel like I could marry him someday. Lately though, he is the only person that I hang out with at college. If my co-workers decide they want to do something as a group, I always hang out with him instead or I always bring him along. I don't think any of them mind. I guess I always see it that they aren't as important to me as he is, so I would rather do stuff with him then anyone else. I haven't made hardly any friends other then him at college, but I haven't put alot of effort into it. I guess it's because I do see him in my life for a really long time, he is my best friend, so I guess that's more important to me then having a large group of acquaintances. How important is it to make friends other then your boyfriend?How important is it to have friends other than your boyfriend?
First, congrats on finding someone you are so happy with. Best of luck to you guys.





My boyfriend is my best friend too--has been for six years. Still, I value my other friends very much, and they are absolutely necessary people in my life.





That doesn't mean you have to sacrifice close, intimate friendships for a large group of acquaintances--I only have about four friends, but I can think of times I've needed each of them. All of my friends bring something entirely different to the table, and sometimes it's something my boyfriend wasn't capable of bringing.





For example, he didn't get why it was such a big deal when I started my first ';real'; job. Don't get me wrong, he was happy and supportive, but to him, work is work, not something to be an excited but nervous wreck over. My best girlfriend on the other hand, fully comprehended taking the first steps to where I really wanted to go.





Also, each of my friends has taught me many, many lessons that I wouldn't be the same person without. That doesn't mean I don't grow and learn from him too--after all, he is my best friend, but there are perspectives, ideas, views I'd have never even seen if I'd limited my friend list to him.





I'm certainly not the most social person, but it's nice to have a few different people in my life. I'd recommend really getting to know at least the most interesting of the people in yours.How important is it to have friends other than your boyfriend?
It is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that you have friends outside of your boyfriend for the following reasons:





1. You shouldn't lose your identity when you date/move in with/marry another person.


2. It's healthy to have a network of friends. Your boyfriend may be great, but one person can not fulfill all your social needs. Eventually he will feel smothered (if he doesn't already), you will be completely codependent on him, and when he wants to do something without you, you'll get upset.


3. You need to develop some interests of your own; you're a unique individual separate from your boyfriend. It's healthy to have hobbies and interests that are just yours. Eventually every relationship settles and gets to that ';comfortable'; stage. It helps if the two people have different interests to bring to the table, or to simply enjoy on their own - especially when they get on each other's nerves. Friends are an essential part to this.
Other friends aren't that important. Knowing others and being friendly is enough.
very important. Friends are part of life. You can have your friends, his friends and your together friends. good luck
I think it is EXTREMELY important. I think it's always unhealthy to put all your eggs in one basket. Even if you are with this man on your 90th birthday... having an outside support system and sharing activities with others is crucial to good mental health and I also think it is good for the health of the relationship.
You both are vary young. Each of you at times should have contact with other friends. and or hobbies. That is what makes a well rounded person. You notice I said at times, Not in place of him.. As you mature more you will learn things beyond college. I admire you for posting the question. Have a wonderful weekend
My friendships are very very important to me and it's unthinkable to let any of them go. When a man pisses me off, I can always count on my friends to bash him and tell it like it is.
Variety is the spice of life. Don't burn yourselves out on eachother!!!! I'm not talking about sex, just in case I was misunderstood, I'm talking about friends!
It is easy to do this early on in a relationship for both people. Both of you need to develop good friend networks. When you get past the ';honeymoon'; stage of a relationship, your friendships seem more important, especially if you don't have any.





Take some time with your work friends alone, and some time together. Do the same with other friends too.





You will both be better off in the long run.
Having friends while you are dating and also after getting married is extremely important. One of the reasons is that us women - we like to vent every now and then. Men dont' get that and so it's good to have GFs to vent with. Also, when things go wrong friend will be there for advice and support. That way you are not alone.





Plus, what if BF or marriage does not work out? At that time friends will be such a blessing. :)
If you could see yourself getting married to him, you must believe that you have the rest of your lives together. It is important to let him know when a friend wants to spend time with you and schedule outings or ';girl time'; once in a while. You are going to want someone to call when you are feeling blue or restless. The best boyfriends in the world aren't always the number one person to share your joys/problems with.

No comments:

Post a Comment